Volkswagens I have known - Golf MK7 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 1 Old 12-29-2013, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Volkswagens I have known

My first Golf was bought brand new in August 1994, it was a Mk 3 Tornado Red GL Tdi & cost 14,160 which included an RDS radio, 3 years warranty, rubber mats & mudflaps. It was a hot afternoon when I collected it & the dealer had left all the windows open (they were electric, a first for me). When I started it there was this awful diesel clatter & I thought what a monumental mistake, but closing the windows & getting going the noise seemed to disappear. Within days we (just my wife & I) were off touring around the Alps relishing the grunt & with no regrets at all.
After a bit over 5 years & 94,500 miles it was time for it to go. A careful record of every fill up (something my dad always did - he'd look for any mpg variation as a sign of potential problems) it had averaged 53.5 mpg (UK gallons) while being driven to enjoy the torque but (mostly) stay within the 70mph speed limit.
There were very few problems. I once shredded a tyre that could probably have been repaired by driving on without realising I'd got a puncture - the power steering had masked the usual "feels funny" sensation. The sunroof never really closed properly, there was always a slight wind noise & I made certain never to get another car with a sun roof. Didn't really need to worry as by the time it went air conditioning was becoming widely available. One day leaving work it was incredibly sluggish with zero response flooring it at 1300rpm - it was the turbo pressure relief valve and airflow sensor which were replaced under warranty. Got through a few tyres of course! Nothing else serious except that I queried the paint fading too late for a warranty claim. It wasn't just VW; lots of red cars of that era have faded badly.
Replaced by a B5 Passat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Golf MK7 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page