Cobb accessport install Stage 1 91oct - Golf MK7 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 2 Old 07-01-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cobb accessport install Stage 1 91oct

Wow the ECU flash tune that I just did on my car completely transforms the engine from the D tuned sporty car for the masses to the actual sports car VW made before they took the wild out and made it safer for people that wouldn't be able to use it -- it's amazing how so much more power is available while still retaining stock safety longevity and all that good stuff.

The car and map:
Pre-tune the car is on VWR sport springs, 18" neuspeed rse12's, Michelin pilot cup Sport tires, Spulen daily driver engine mount insert, drop in K&N Filter and custom OBDeleven electronic tweaks.

At idle up to 2500ish the car feels the same and kinda lacking as it has but everything feels more robust and ready to spring. BUT From 3500-5000 ish this engine is transformed . It is so much more the GTI you imagined. Through areas I tested the car pulled so much stronger and there was a more wild boost to the still awesome linear performance.

I'm so very happy with the accessport purchase.. It was an easy 20 minute process in my driveway with no issues.

THOUGHTS: The weakest links now for the car I want are dampers and clutch. Getting closer.

VW now sells a sport version of the car I custom ordered in late 2014: performance pack w awesome brakes and mechanical limited slip & tiny map bump and lighting package l. Those items are no brainers and take the car to mid 28k. You just can't compare the drivability class and feel to any other US hot hatch now with this better tuned engine.

Two of the biggest performance upgrades that transformed my car were VWR sport springs and lighter rims to reduce the unsprung weight and a set of Michelin pilot cup sport tires. The spring tire rim combo make the car so much more precise and bitchin looking at the same time.

It's been good to get used to the car in its detuned state and then with the springs tires and rims state and finally with the engine tune state; it's been a nice progression with more room to grow till the 2020 mk8 GTI comes out.

Wow the ECU flash tune that I just did on my car completely transforms the engine from the D tuned sporty car for the masses to the actual sport car that they made before they took the wilder boost and made it safer for people that wouldn't be able to handle it -- it's amazing how so much more power is available while still retaining stock safety longevity and all that good stuff.

The weakest links now are dampers and clutch.

VW now sells a sport version of the car I custom ordered in late 2014: performance pack w awesome brakes and mechanical limited slip & tiny map bump. Those two items for $1400 are no brainers. In addition the car has to be lowered right away with sport springs. I always suggest Wearing out the stock tires and rims, before upgrading if value is a concern. Your curb rash training will be worth it. One of the biggest performance upgrades that transforms the car are lighter rims to reduce the unsprung weight and make the car look more Bitchin of course, and a set of Michelin pilot cup sport tires. The tire rim combo make the car so much more precise when you shut off all the nanny tech.

It's been good to get used to the car in HD tuned state and then with the springs tires and rims state which makes it that much more enjoyable car and then finally with the engine tune it's been a nice progression

Before the Cobb you should install the Spulen daily driver engine mount insert. It's an easy cheap do it yourself polish to the feel and performance of the car. It feels right away that you're in Motorsports territory if feel means anything to you. Again the car was made to feel but in the mass marketing of the car it gets softened and smoothed out into the daily driver version - the Spulen mount insert brings back the ENGINE feel, tightens up the slack in the trannie-engine coupling and it is just a nice tweak.

I'm back and forth on spending Coin for F/R sway bars. But I probably will because I love fast driving more than drag races at stop lights.

For a new buyer looking for a right performer I think these are essential mods. But the most important aspect is buying the right version of the GTI: 5 door Sport Manual performance pack with light package and nothing else. No BS leather seats and sunroof and nanny tech. The PP brakes and limited slip are essential as is the lighting package. In 2015 this custom order cost $28,500. Same price today for same car w apple play and better head unit!

Cobb accessport is a brilliant move. A good company supports it. The device is small and purposeful. It puts you in control of your tunes stock or otherwise. And Cobb has a great platform to expand on.

6 stars purchase bang for buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2 of 2 Old 10-07-2019, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Doesn’t seem like such a terrible deal for an additional ~ $4500.00 unless perhaps your personal “budget” says it is...

1.) Dynamic chassis control (which includes adjustable shock absorbers and a larger rear anti-roll bar)
2.) Adaptive cruise control
3.) Navigation
4.) Fender premium audio system w/ subwoofer
5.) 12-way power adjustable driver seat (with power lumbar adjustment)
6.) Dual-zone automatic climate control
7.) Frameless auto-dimming rearview mirror.
8.) Leather seating surfaces
9.) Automated parallel and perpendicular parking

Listed above are some of the additional features that come standard on the Autoban GTI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Golf MK7 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page